Tuesday, May 6, 2014

ceramics haul




purple cups

You can check out my ceramics haul from last year here. While I didn't make as many pieces this time around as I did last year, I feel like these were much more successful. I wanted to really focus on making lighter pieces and experimenting more with glaze, so I think I succeeded (or at least scratched the surface).

My first project were these cups. I made a bunch with the intention of selling them, but I won't be able to until I am reunited with them, as I had to leave them behind in storage. They were actually dipped in the same glaze, purple haze, and the varying colors resulted from the cups being on different shelves in the kiln. I loved the surprise of it all.




green mugs

I don't think I achieved the optimal mug form yet, but these are certainly a lot closer than last years efforts. A friend recommended a combination of emerald green and splattered black pearl, and I loved it so much I dipped a bunch of things in the combination. (I also made Matt a scuttle bowl with the same colors, but unfortunately didn't photograph it before I gave it to him.)



planters

These were an attempt to make the perfect cylinder, and while I'm not very good at making tall things, I at least made the short things straight! I envision these holding herbs, and wanted to mimic the layers of earth in the glaze--grass, soil, and clay



tooth brush holder

This is meant to be more utilitarian than anything else. The cylinder holds my toothbrush, the middle container holds my floss, and the front container holds my retainer. Just a practical little piece for my bathroom.



diamond planter

This fun little diamond planter actually has holes in the sides so that it can be hung up. I imagine pretty little flowers poking out of the top.



soup bowl

This ugly thing is meant to hold soup and bread or crackers at the same time. Shortly after photographing all my pieces, I realized I could have made this bowl so much more attractive by putting the divider inside the bowl rather than outside it. Oh well, looks like I'll have to sign up for Advanced Ceramics now!



ring holder

A cute little wiener dog ring holder! I desperately needed one, so I stole the idea from the internet and recreated it.




sassy container

I made this thing mostly because the last thing I made with a lid was pretty ugly and I wanted another one. Tried to make it nice and cylindrical, added some sassy looking handles, and made a simple lid.



bowls

These photos do not do the glaze of the bowls justice. I tried very hard to make them as light as possible, and they turned out beautifully. I seriously cannot wait to eat yummy things out of them.



pitcher

And finally is this pitcher. I'm incredibly proud of it because it's the tallest piece I've ever made, and the glaze turned out amazing. It's nice and big and I imagine pretty spring flowers in it and it just makes me happy.

There were a couple other pieces I made, such as some plates and another planter, that were still in the kiln by the time I left, so I won't be able to see the results until I get back to Oregon. But all in all, I'm very proud of my pieces, and I can't wait to create some more!







No comments:

Post a Comment